Monday, March 28, 2011

BBC English

The British Broadcasting Corporation used to be a byword for the correct use of the English language. That's British English, not American, which is completely different. I say that it used to be, because I'm appalled by the language used currently by this august organisation.
For example everything happens now! Events that occurred many years ago are spoken of as if they are current. Call me pedantic, if you wish, but I believe that many of the world's problems are caused by misunderstandings and lack of communication.
Telling me that a car driver drives along a street and crashes into a bus stop does not aid my understanding of the situation. How can they have crashed if they are now driving?
There is also far too much use of the word 'got'. I have a blog, obviously otherwise you wouldn't be reading this. The BBC would save I have got a blog, but the word 'got' is unnecessary.
Orientate is another misuse of a long word, where a shorter one is right. The right word is orient, as in the weather vane oriented itself to face into the wind.
I only mention the BBC, because of its reputation. The other broadcasters are no better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Traditionally, British English is more formal; however, it is not considered to be homogeneous. There are three types of British English: Conservative English (the language of the royal family and parliament), Adopted Standard (Received Pronunciation or BBC English), and Advanced English. Last type is rather modified and the most influenced by other dialects.
STC Technologies